When you hear the word scientist what do you envision? Which famous people or characters from the media come into your mind? What characteristics do they have in common? Discuss at least three characteristics of your vision of a scientist.
Your paper should address the following questions:
- When you hear the word “scientist” what do you envision? Which famous people or characters from the media come into your mind? What characteristics do they have in common? Discuss at least three characteristics of your vision of a scientist.
- Has your image of what a scientist does and how they look changed over time? If so, how has this changed and what influenced you?
- Are fictional scientists usually the heroes, villains, or a combination of the two? Provide at least two detailed examples to support your position.
- How is science portrayed in fictional media (television shows, movies, music, books, etc.)? Is it seen as a positive, negative, or neutral force in the world? Give specific examples supporting your position.
- Do you think the portrayal of scientists in the various forms of media influences how society views people in this profession? Why, or why not?
- Can the portrayal of science in media influence how certain research and technology is viewed, and accepted, by the general public (e.g., cloning)?
Your Final Project should be written in an essay format, with an introduction and conclusion. The paper will require you to include details from research including the course materials and sources you locate on your own. Use APA format to cite your sources of information, both within parenthetical citations and also within a reference page at the end of the project.
Basic Writing Expectations:
- A minimum of 1,500 words, not counting the title or reference pages
- At least 3 academic resources utilized
- Include a title page, double space, font size 10 or 12
- Include a highly developed viewpoint/thesis, purpose, and exceptional content
- Demonstrate superior organization: use logic
- Free of grammar and spelling errors
- No evidence of plagiarism. Note: no more than 10% of your paper should be direct quotes
- Use the APA style for all in-text citations, references, and body of paper