Project Assignment: Bilston Glen Distillery
Bilston Glen Distillery follows in the tradition of Highland distilling in that it uses pot stills and matures its whisky in old sherry casks.
In order to meet new food handling requirements, a permanent record of use of each cask is to be maintained. Casks go through the following stages in their lives:
- Casks come from Portugal where they are used for maturing Sherry. The casks are bought from a London based dealer who supplies the casks in batches from a specific Bodega (sherry blender).
- The casks are inspected and repaired if necessary and marked with a serial number. The data of purchase, capacity and source of origin are recorded. The casks, wherever possible are kept and used in their original batches so that the quality of the whisky matured in them is consistent.
- The casks are filled with whisky. The filling date, whisky batch and quantity is noted.
- The casks are visually checked daily, however once a month the cask is weighed to check contents and the value noted. Any damage or deterioration to the cask is noted.
- Annually the cask is given a more thorough investigation; the cask is opened, a sample is drawn and the cask is re-bunged. The weight, content and condition are noted.
- After a period of time, the cask is emptied and the whisky goes for blending. This is noted and the remaining volume and cask condition is noted and put to store.
- The cask is then given a major internal and external inspection and the cask is either set for re-use, sent for repair and reused or sent for disposal. A record of the decision is made and dated.
You are to conduct an initial analysis and design of an information system to support the above activity.
You are to present your findings in the following form:
- A set of Data Flow Diagrams of your required logical design using SSADM notation. The diagrams are to include a context diagram and at least two further levels of expansion. You should continue the expansion of the model until sufficient detail of the key entities and processes can be identified.
- A Data dictionary listing all the data items shown in the DFD set, expanded to show detail.
- Entity life histories of each of the core entities.
- A logical data structure, identifying the main data entities and their relationships.
Length, style and format notes
The report is to be produced to a professional standard with a title sheet showing the module title and number and the title of the coursework. The report is to take the form of a 1000 – 1500 word written report covering the data analysis and process design aspects of the proposed system. The relevant diagrams should be included as appendices, cross referenced to the text. Academic referencing is not required. The front sheet should show your matriculation number, but not your name. You should also complete a School of Computing hand in sheet and fix this to the front of the report.
All textual work is to be presented in Arial Font. 11 pt on A4 paper, one side only. Graphics work may be computer generated or neatly hand drawn in ink (using a ruler…, etc.). Any hand-drawn materials will need to be scanned and neatly included in your report.
You should retain a backup copy of all materials.
You are reminded that this is an individual piece of work. Evidence of plagiarism may result in disciplinary action.
|Marking grid||Available Marks||1st||2:1||2:2||3rd||Fail||Mis||Comments|
|DFD Analysis Set||30||
|Entity Life History Set||20||
|Logical Data Structure||10||
|Coherence and overall logic||10||
|Standard of Presentation||10||
|Comment grid. This work:||Exc||Gd||OK||Pr||Un||Additional comments|
|Demonstrates an understanding of the problem situation
|Shows good use of the modelling
|Is accurate and consistent
|Demonstrates a workable and
|Is presented in a professional manner
|Is technically accurate
(Exc – Excellent, Gd – Good, Pr – Poor, Un – Unaddressed) Additional comments:
Place an order of a custom essay for this assignment or any other paper with us now. You are guaranteed; a custom premium paper being delivered within its deadline, personalized customer support and communication with your writer through out the order preparation period