Police and Community
Module 4 Assignment
*The Book That Is Needed For This Assignment Is Community Policing: Partnerships for Problem Solving 7th edition By: Linda S. Miller, Karen Matison Hess, and Christine Hess Orthman ISBN: 978-1285096674.**
READ Chapters 13-16.
Be sure to include the number of the question and also the question. Look at how the questions is asked and answer it the same way.
Assignments should be done in MLA format and also inclue a title page. NO OTHER SOURCES ONLY BOOK!!
- For This Assignment the grading is very strict and if it is less than an (A or B) grade a refund will be required. (Send a draft copy 2 days before the due date so I can make any changes that may be needed.)
Police and Community
Module 4 Assignments – 100 points
Important: Carefully read each of the following questions and then review what your textbook says about the concept(s). Your response to each should be a complete and well thought out response that 1) defines key terms 2) references the textbook material 3) includes the related page number and 4) is at least one full paragraph. (Each response should “stand alone” and NOT read as though it is in response to a question. The use of outside or additional sources is not permitted.)
Chapters 13-16 Discussion Questions (10 points each)
- What do you think are the main reasons individuals join gangs?
- Explain the consequences of denying the existence of gangs.
- Explain the difference researchers found between those who are violent to their partners and those who commit violent crimes against others.
- What type of person is the most likely victim of domestic violence?
- Discuss the aphorism “one man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter.” What kinds of examples can you think of that confirm this statement?
- Discuss what is controversial about the USA PATRIOT Act. How did it change the government’s ability to conduct investigations?
- How does the availability of funding affect patterns of community policing within police departments?
- You are a patrol officer assigned to the cover shift (7:00 A.M. to 3:00 A.M.). At 2:00 A.M. you receive a domestic violence call at an address you recognize as belonging to a fellow officer. When you arrive you are met at the door by the officer, who tells you “everything is OK.” You can hear a woman crying in the background from inside the house. What actions should you take and why?
Application: (20 points)
- Here is a link to a Penn State University case study of a domestic violence homicide. Note: Although it seems at times that there may be successful intervention it does not occur.
After viewing the video, write a 1-2 page reaction essay. Be sure to discuss what your textbook states about domestic violence and what is presented in the video. Are these in agreement?