By now you should have a pretty good idea about the major information
sources available on the company you have chosen for your SLPs.
Unfortunately, few if any companies will directly admit what pricing strategy
they use. Most will say “of course we are charging you the lowest possible
price”. But find out what you can about your company’s pricing strategy
and also do some research on what some of your company’s competitors
charge for the same products.
When you have finished researching about your company’s prices, answer
the following questions:
1. How does your company’s prices compare to competitors who sell the
same or similar products? Overall, do your company’s prices seem high
2. Do you think your company is basing their pricing mostly on cost (such
as a cost-plus approach) or are other factors at play? Consider the
concepts of prestige pricing mentioned in Forsyth (2007) or value-based
pricing mentioned in the Pearson tutorial.
3. Discuss at least three other pricing strategies from the background
materials and explain whether or not you think your company is using
these strategies. Explain your reasoning, and remember to cite the
sources where you read about the pricing strategies from in your
SLP Assignment Expectations
• Answer the assignment questions directly.
• Stay focused on the precise assignment questions, and don’t go off on
tangents or devote a lot of space to summarizing general background
• Make sure to use reliable and credible sources as your references.
Articles published in established newspapers or business
Page 1 of 2
journals/magazines are preferred. If you find articles on the internet,
make sure it is from a credible source.
• Reference your sources of information with both a bibliography and intext
citations. See the Student Guide to Writing a High-Quality
Academic Paper, including pages 13-14 on in-text citations. Another
resource is the “Writing Style Guide”, which is found under “My
Resources” on the TLC portal.
Page 2 of 2