Scenario: The monthly report on medication errors was presented to all units within ECHO Hospital. Although the rate has decreased, staff identified that the primary cause of medication errors continues to be interruptions while preparing and administering medications.
The nurse manager has asked the staff members to offer assistance in solving the problem of preventing interruptions while RNs are preparing and giving medications.
Using the assigned readings, information from the literature and the above scenario, your knowledge of the, principles of safe medication administration create a discussion post in response to the following:
- Suggest at least three (3) changes that can be made to prevent medication errors due to interruptions.
- Select one (1) suggested change and write an outcome statement (realistic, measureable and contains a time frame).
- Select one (1) suggested change and outline the steps that would be taken to implement it.
- Describe how the selected change will be evaluated to determine its effectiveness in achieving your stated measurable outcome.
APA FORMAT NO MORE THAN A PAGE IF POSSIBLE ITS JUST A DISCUSSION> NEEDS AT LEAST 2 REF WITHIN 5 YEARS .. THANKS….
- Anthony, Maureen PhD, RN. July/August 2014. Patient Safety. Home Healthcare Nurse. 32(7):389-390.
- Burnette, M. (2011). Increasing medication safety. AORN Journal,93(3), C1.
- Dickson, G. L., & Flynn, L. (2012).Nurses’ clinical reasoning: Processes and practices of medication safety.Qualitative Health Research, 22(1), 3-16.
- Dreyer, Theresa. (2014). Care Transitions: Best Practices and Evidence-based Programs . Home Healthcare Nurse. 32(5): 309-16.
- Miranda Jr., S. (2011). Back to basics, medication safety at the bedside: a nursing administrator’s perspective. Pennsylvania Nurse,66(3), 6-10.
- Petty, J. (2013). Medication adherence and patient outcomes: part 2: interventions and resources to overcome low health literacy. Clinical Nurse Specialist CNS, 27(6), 286-288.