Legal and Illegal Interview Questons
Use the Library or other Web resources to develop a questionnaire that managers will use when they are interviewing applicants. This document must contain:
The name of the position that the candidates will be interviewing for
- At least 12 permissible questions that will be asked to all candidates
- A summary of illegal questions that should never be asked in the recruitment process
Note that the position you are trying to fill is the role of a human resources specialist.
- What makes you qualified for this position?
- Why do you want to work for this company?
- Where did you attend college?
- Have you ever worked in the field before?
- If so what kind of training were you given that has prepared you for this job?
- where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- What is the most notable contribution you have made to your current organization?
- How do you deal with mistake?
- How do you deal with workplace gossip?
- How proficient are you in Microsoft applications?
- Are you authorized to work in the U.S.?
- How long have you lived here in the U.S.?
Questions not to ask:
- Are you a US citizen?
- What is your native tongue?
- What religion do you practice?
- What religious holidays do you observe?
- How old are you?
- How many years do you have before retirement?
- Do you have children?
- Can you get a baby sitter in case of overtime work needed?
- We have always had a man in this position, how do you think you will compare?
- Do you smoke or drink?
- Have you ever been convicted?