A. Given the imperative for improved performance faced by organizations, design training and developmentactivitiesthat are directly linked to the attainment of the organization’s strategicbusinessgoals and objectives.
• Explain how companies can use training to deal with the forces affecting the workplace and learning.
• Discuss howbusinessstrategy influences the type and amount of training in a company.
• Discuss how training and development can be used to support the attainment ofbusinessgoals and objectives.
• Explore the ever-changing role of training as well as the impacts of organizing the training function according to a variety of models (faculty, customer, matrix, and corporate university).
• Identify future trends that are likely to influence training, as well as the impact these trends may have on the training life cycle.
B. Giventheimportanceoflinkingdevelopmentalactivitiestobusinessresults,conductneedsassessmentsatindividual,group, andorganizationallevels, whichwillformthefoundationof an organization’s training and development program.
• Discuss theneedsassessment process followed by the various methods used to conducts aneedsassessment.
• Explore the various factors that influence performance and learning, as well as how to create conditions that are most conducive to learning.
• Describe task analysis and how to use these data to help make training determinations.
C. Givenan identified set of learningneedsand the range ofdevelopmentaltechniquesavailable to address them, design training programs targeted to enhanceindividualperformance through learning retention and transfer of learning.
• Explore the components of training program design.
• Explain the concepts of learning retention and transfer of learning.
• Explain how training program design can affect learning retention and transfer of learning.
D. Giventhe principles behind adult learning theory, identify the key issues, tenets, and techniques of curriculum design and delivery to adult learners. Develop trainingactivitiesappropriate for adult learners and their specificneeds.
• Explain the implications of learning theory on instructional design and understand the principles of andragogy (adult learning theory).
• Discuss how learners utilize information and the impacts of a variety of forces (internal and external) that are necessary for successful learning.
E. Giventhat training involves time, distance, and expense, create evaluation methods thatwilldemonstrate the effectiveness, value, and return on investment of training and developmentactivitiesto an organization.
• Explain theimportanceof evaluation and which outcomes should be measured.
• Probe the strengths and weaknesses of different evaluation designs and how to choose the appropriate evaluation design based on the purpose of the training.
• Discuss the cost-benefit analysis for a training program.
F. Giventheimportanceof teams in the workplace, identify the foundations of team development and recommend strategies that can be employed to enhance team performance.
• Compare traditional training methods to “cutting-edge” training methods, both in use and under exploration.
• Discuss traditional training methods such as presentations, hands-on, and on-the-job training.
• Explore the meaning of a self-directed learning model and the key concepts of behavior modeling.
· Discuss the implications of new technologies (such as Web-based training) and the influence on training.
· Explain how learning and transfer of training are enhanced by new training technologies, as well as the strengths and limitations of e-learning.
· Compare and contrast strengths and weaknesses of traditional training methods with those based on technology.
G. Giventhe need to train and develop employees efficiently and effectively, develop a plan for utilizing technology in training and development plans. Evaluate a training need and determine whether technology-based training would be effective.
• Discuss the implications of new technologies (such as Web-based training) and the influence on training.
• Explain how learning and transfer of training are enhanced by new training technologies, as well as the strengths and limitations of e-learning.
• Compare and contrast strengths and weaknesses of traditional training methods with those based on technology.
• Explain the benefits of using these new technologies.
H. Givensocietal changes and major workforce demographic shifts; address emerging trends in diversity, sexual and racial harassment, workplace equality. wellness, safety, quality and customer service; identifying the requirements for future training and development.
• Discuss the implications of new workplace trends and design programs that reflect sensitivity to those changes.
• Explain the impact of such programs in building a complete portfolio of training.
• Develop a strategic plan to fold social and sensitivity awareness into the culture.
• Develop a method of involving line management in the support of such programs.