How do you define normal and abnormal behavior? What factors influence your definition?
Why is it important to understand the history of abnormal psychology?
1. Define the psychosocial theoretical model, biological/medical theoretical model and sociocultural theoretical model. Choose one, and discuss how it relates to the development of the field of abnormal psychology.
WEEK 2 DISCUSSIONS:
- What is the difference between use, abuse and dependence? Why is it important to understand these differences?
- What is the difference between mania and depression?Why is it important to understand this difference?
WEEK 3 DISCUSSIONS:
What is an example of a phobia?What causes this type of phobia?How can this type of phobia be cured?
1. What is an example of a somatoform disorder?What role does nature vs. nurture play in the development of the disorder you described?
WEEK 4 DISCUSSIONS:
Can sex be abnormal between consenting adults?
How do you feel about the following statement: “Eat to live, rather than live to eat”? What factors have contributed to the obesity epidemic in the United States?
WEEK 5 DISCUSSIONS:
With the rise of dementia, delirium, and Alzheimer’s, do you believe that growing older is synonymous with mental decline?
1. What are some factors that have led to an increase in diagnosis of children with disorders such as Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)?