Course Project: Huntsville Project
This course project gives you the opportunity to practice by planning a project, from the onset with a project charter to an established project schedule and related artifacts. This course project will make the course content “come alive” through application of the principles from the textbook, course materials and threaded discussions. Each week, you will have course project assignments that will be related to the TCO(s) aligned to that particular week.
|Week||Deliverables||Total Points||% Alignment|
Johann Seitz founded the SEITZ Corporation in 1984. The main products of the firm were small- to medium-sized plastic bottles and containers, used mainly in the food and dairy industries
As the company continues to grow, there are many projects that are identified and need to be prioritized based on the mission and strategic plan. The key elements of the strategic plan, ranked according to priority, with #1 being the top priority, are as follows:
#1. Double total sales within the next decade.
#2. Develop and market new products based on the company’s plastics experience.
#3. Reduce dependence on equipment suppliers.
#4. Reach first or second in regional market shares.
#5. Attain a national presence in the container industry.
#6. Increase productivity.
In January 2010, the board of directors of SEITZ Corporation decided to select an investment project that would best achieve the strategic goals in the next fiscal year. The project that was selected is the construction of a new plant in Huntsville, Alabama.Walter Seitzis the Project Sponsor. $2,750,000 has been budgeted for this effort, and it should begin by April 18, 2011 and should be fully operating by June 30, 2012.
For this project to be successful, the board expects the following deliverables to be in place:
- Select resources such as: Architect, Real Estate Consultant, and General Contractor
- Recruit and Train Managers for Huntsville Plant
- Create a Pre-Production and Production Plan
- Create a Building Concept and Design
- Procure Building Site, Permits, and Appropriate Approvals
- Construct the Huntsville Plant Building
- Landscaping on Site
- Personnel Recruiting for Plant Operations
- Procure Equipment, Raw Material and Truck Fleet
- Install Equipment
- Create Product Distribution Plan and Pre-Production Plan
- Start Up Production and Distribution
This board does not expect the following items to be a part of this project:
- Geothermal Heating
- Solar Powered Electric Feed
- Multi-Level Parking Garage
- In-House Food Court
- Construction of Separate Distribution Facility
To help launch this project, the preliminary project team consists of strong functional leaders.Steve Pokorskiis the Vice President of Operations, and Joe Downs, is the Director of Plant Engineering.Rhonda Smith, the regional sales manager and her marketing director,Mary Doonan, have also been aligned to initiate this project.