Assignment Environmental Resources Worksheet
Using the assigned readings from Week Four, write a 50- to 75-word response to each of the following questions. Your responses will be assessed according to the accuracy of the content.
- How do minerals affect society?
- What is the difference between metallic and nonmetallic minerals? Provide two examples from each category and discuss their uses.
- How are minerals extracted from the Earth and processed?
- What are the different ways minerals can be mined? Provide a brief description of at least three types of mining.
- What effect does extracting minerals have on the environment?
- What is your definition of soil? What is soil composed of? Why is soil important to the environment?
- What types of organisms are found in soil? Determine the relationship between soil and organisms.
- What is soil erosion? How can soil become polluted? What effect does soil erosion and pollution have on the environment?
- What is the purpose of soil reclamation?
Forestry and Rangeland Resources and Management Strategies
- Differentiate between government-owned and public lands. Which government agencies are involved with government-owned lands? What is the purpose of government-owned lands?
- Why is the forest an important ecosystem?
- What is your definition of forest management? What is its purpose? Describe the concept of sustainable forestry.
- What effect does the harvesting of trees and deforestation have on forests and the environment? Is there a preferred method for harvesting trees? Explain.
- What is a rangeland? Describe rangeland degradation and desertification. What effect does degradation and desertification have on the environment?
- What is overgrazing? What effect does this have on rangelands?
- What strategies can be employed for managing and conserving forests and rangelands?
- What is the difference between industrialized and subsistence agriculture? What effect do these methods have on the environment?
- What is one agricultural challenge, other than soil erosion, that society faces? Explain your answer.
- How would you describe sustainable agriculture? How does it affect the environment? In regards to agriculture, what are the advantages and disadvantages involved with genetic engineering?
Environmental Resources Worksheet ENV/100 Version 4
ENV 100 Week 5 Gamescape Episode 5 Building a Positive Environmental Legacy
Resource: Gamescape Episode 5
Complete Episode 5: “Building a Positive Environmental Legacy” of Gamescape.
Answer the following questions. Each response should be one to three sentences in length.
- Describe how you would balance the needs of Sparksville’s environment and economy. Explain your reasoning.
- Based on your experience of 25 years in Sparksville and this course, what do you consider to be the key principles required to reach sustainability?